Sunday 18 November 2012

Review of the day

Where do I begin on a day like today…

Half way through the afternoon, it looked like the Open meeting was just going to peter out in relative disappointment (aside from Buck Magic on Friday ofcourse !) - but then things simply took off and went from good to better !

Betting on horses is a funny old game – and there will always be ups and downs - highs and lows – but I think it is safe to say that the final 3 races at the Open meeting 2012 will take some topping, from a TVB perspective…

As I’ve been saying, I’m looking to make TVB a 3 faceted service consisting of:

- Main-line tips
- Early bird tips
- Write ups

I don’t know which aspect of the service you guys value the most (though I will be surveying at the end of the month, to find out) – but I like to think there is something in there for everyone…

One by one, the last 3 Cheltenham races today, showcased the benefits of each aspect of the service…

First, the main-line tip, Olofio showed tremendous determination to win the feature race of the day. Advised at 16/1 last night (with a R4), he was still backable at 11/1 this morning.

Next came Coneygree, an early bird tip yesterday evening at 12/1. Surprisingly that price hung around long enough for most of you to get on – and better still, he was available at close to that price for most of the day on Betfair.
He showed a gameness that his half brother would have been proud of, to fend off all comers in the novice hurdle.

Finally, there was the write up. If it was full of gems yesterday (as, let’s be honest, it is most days ;) ) – it had a diamond in the very last paragraph today…
There can’t be many places where you would have been steered towards Anonis in the closing bumper – but I think it is fair to say that the write up gave you a clear pointer in that direction today (well done to Stuart, for picking up on it !).
The horse was available to back at 50, all day on BF – he even returned with an SP of 25/1 – and he battled home most willingly to take the finale…

What a way to end a truly memorable afternoon.
It might not quite have reached the peaks of Hennesey day last year – but it wasn’t far behind !

For completeness, I’ll quickly run through the other Cheltenham races…

In the opener, Third Intention simply couldn’t jump out of the sticky ground…
His jumping had been almost faultless on his chasing debut last month – but today, he didn’t look like the same horse. I think a line can be safely put through that performance.
That said, I don’t know whether he would have beaten the winner whatever. It was a very taking debut from Captain Conan and he looks sure to take high rank amongst this season’s novice chasers…

In the following race, Double Ross took apart what had looked like a very competitive handicap hurdle field…
Of the 3 selections, Captain Sunshine ran best. He travelled very well for most of the race and briefly looked like he might be involved in the finish but ultimately he tired up the home straight.
Fishoutofwater also ran a creditable race –and much better than has been the case recently. He remains one to keep a close eye on…
Hada Men was a big disappointment however. He was strong in the market – but never really travelled in the race. He did run on at the death – though never remotely threatened to get involved…

In the 2 mile chase, Wishful Thinking survived an early scare to see off Doeslessthanme, pretty much as expected.
There’s not a lot more to say – which is disappointing considering the £30K purse for the winner !

Finally: over in the Ireland.
I doubt many of you took the option of investing in Champage Fever rather than the local bank – which is a pity.
To say he hacked up without turning a hair, is an understatement.
You will rarely see a horse win more easily…

Whilst at Punchestown, Baily Green’s unbeaten run did come to an end – but it was not Oscars Well who beat him.
That one fell at the second fence, leaving the path clear for Ruby Walsh to make just about all on Twilight. The runner up threatened to inch past him on the run-in – but Twilight was brave and battled back to secure victory.

In the Morgiana hurdle, Hurricane Fly returned to the track with a victory…
Ultimately, he won easing down, but it would have been very interesting had Go Native not crashed out at the final hurdle.
He looked to be going better than Hurricane at that point: However, Go Native is a bridle horse – whereas Hurricane is a battler.
I suspect the result would have been the same even if Go Native have successfully negotiated the last…

So there we have it – the end to a very intense few days…

Anyone for Leicester and Plumpton tomorrow ?!

TVB

5 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew
    What can I say - absolutely brilliant today and great consistency since you started which is vital
    One lesson I learnt today is to read the write up in detail going forward
    Well done and thanks
    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liam,
    If today taught you that you should properly read the write-ups, then it will ultimately prove more valuable than any winner I can tip…
    It’s impossible to work out numbers, but I’m absolutely sure that the profit from positive mentions in the write-ups is outperforming both the main-line and early bird tips – and neither of those are doing too badly at the moment !
    I would also expect the writes up to provide a far more consistent source of profit, over time…
    Of course the tricky bit is interpreting them properly – and that will only really come as you gain familiarity. One or two of my long-term followers have learnt how to read me effectively – and they tend to get rewarded appropriately…
    As you’ve probably gathered by now, the racing really is a passion for me. I see so many things it is impossible for me to crystallise them all into discreet tips. I do the best I can – and am generally successful at it - however, the write up gives me free reign to express myself and that is where my real strength (and value) lies.
    If you can figure out how to optimise the write ups, then you really will be on the road to your fortune !!
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the EW dbl pays the christmas shopping anyway. Thanks a lot Andy, as always top class picking from a top class service. You really are a genius. So glad i got my foot in the door early would have be a crying shame if i hadn't made the cut. You really are laughing at these odds compilers and indeed sometimes the connections. Your ability to pick these double prices winners like they are odds on shots really is surreal. Im looking forward to this adventure over the next few months, lets hope its as exciting and profitable as last year, if not even more so. Judging by the first 18 days i would say were in for a good one ;)
    Thanks again

    Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were never in any danger of missing the cut Ciaran. Your support helped my through a few tricky weeks last December - and I will always be grateful for that…
    Things are certainly going well at the moment – but to be honest, it is no more than most of you guys deserve…
    A lot of you took a big risk on me, on the back of a very poor Aintree (the tips that is – not the reading of the races, which was of course, up to my normal standards ;) ).
    I still find it staggering that two thirds of my subscribers this season, also subscribed to my Aintree Special. If ever there was a categorical vote of confidence is basic ability then that was it.
    I can’t tell you how much more comfortable I feel tipping for guys who really believe in me – and who I know are prepare to follow me through thick and thin.
    That is why I closed the doors at the beginning of the month – and that is why I won’t open them until the beginning of next season (and I’ve had a few recent requests to be let in !).
    If people want to join TVB from now on, they need to prove themselves to me – and I have very demanding requirements !!
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tipping !

    steveb

    ReplyDelete