Saturday 27 October 2012

Review of the day

I didn’t intend to produce a ‘review of the day’ today – after all, I’m not actually tipping yet ;)
However, at the end of an excellent day’s action, I feel moved to write a few words…

As hoped, Aintree provided the best entertainment of the day (though the final few races were a little surreal, with the low sun seeing more and more obstacles ommited).
The day’s outstanding performance, was undoubtedly put up by For Non Stop, who absolutely routed the field in the Old Roan chase.
He was a progressive novice last season, but even so, it was difficult to foresee such an emphatic victory. If he continues his progression, he will soon become a major player at the highest level.
It also made me wonder just how good Sir Des Champs is ?! He treated For Non Stop with total contempt, when he won at the Cheltenham festival. There could certainly be exciting times ahead for that horse…

The selection in the race, Mahogany Blaze, ran a fair race to finish fifth. He did briefly look like he might snatch third – but he had no more to offer from the second last.

Earlier on the card however, Pasco showed precisely how my selections should perform ;)
He romped home in the 2m4f chase and whilst luck favoured him a little (Lexicon Lad was baulked by a faller 4 fences from home), I suspect he would have won whatever.
A hike back up the weights will undoubtedly follow – though I suspect he could remain competitive off a mark a good deal higher…

In the opener, I was glad I didn’t get suckered into selecting Empire Levant…
He was backed into a ridiculously short price – but was well beaten with half a mile to run.
Ironically, the race was won by the original favourite, Cape Express. He sauntered home by 8 lengths at the very generous price of 9/2.

The other big race on the card was the veterans chase, where Nikola performed very disappointingly.
The race was won by Marufo, ridden by the often maligned Richard Johnson.
If you didn’t see the ride, you should take a few minutes to watch the closing stages. I swear that absolutely no other jockey in the weighing room would have got him over the last and up the run-in as Johnson did.
Maligned he might be – but if I could get him on board of every one of my runners who had a chance coming down to the last, I would grab it with both hands !!

Over at Stratford, Requin jumped like a goat – and ultimately paid the penalty.
It’s no good wondering how he might have fared if he had jumped better, the fact is, if he continues to jump as he did today, he’ll not win another chase !
There is some work for Victor Dartnell to do in that department, I think…

Finally, over at Chepstow, Plein Pouvoir ran precisely as I expected him to do.
He is a magnificent jumper of a fence – but he is also the most one paced horse you are ever likely to see !
He will drop a few pounds for today’s run: and hopefully the ground will get softer as the season progresses. I feel there is still another victory in him, under the right conditions – and if that day arrived in the next 5 months, rest assured we will be right behind him ;)

TVB 

No comments:

Post a Comment