Saturday 26 January 2013

Review of the day

With the benefit of hindsight, I think I was maybe a little too cavalier with the staking for the 2 main bets today…
In a way, it was perfectly understandable: buoyed by the success of Thursday (when my only irritation was that I didn’t stake a horse I really fancied, a little more aggressively), I decided to go for it today, on another couple of horses that I thought were capable of significantly outrunning their odds.

With hindsight, I should have reigned back a little – and had a saver on the 2 horses that I saw as dangers in the respective races…

The shrewd ones amongst you will have noticed that the only other horse I mentioned in Hells Bay’s race was Katenko; whilst in Cootamundra’s race, it was Texas Jack.
The link between the 2 – they both won L

Still, I can’t get every call right I guess !

With regards to the runs from the 2 horses I did tip – then both ran reasonable races…
Hells Bay travelled well to the third last – but then weakened very quickly…
Whether it was the ground or a physical problem, I don’t know.
He is obviously one to be a little wary of – though I reckon most of his ability remains…

Cootamundra also travelled very nicely through his race – but was probably held up a little too far back, over what is probably his minimum trip and in a race where there was no great pace.
He closed on the run to the second last, but couldn’t raise a further effort to really get competitive.
He will be of serious interest in handicap company off his current mark, on testing ground…

No joy either with the day’s other 2 tips…
Quartz De Thaix put in a shocking round of jumping before finally falling.
That was a real surprise has his jumping previously this season, has been quite assured.
I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him put back over hurdles for his next run, in an attempt to restore his confidence.
Some what ironically, the race was won by the horse whose jumping I didn’t think would be up to the job: Cape Tribulation.
He is a very talented horse – though I doubt he is quite Gold Cup class.
That said, it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise ever if he managed to get placed in the big one – though he would need soft ground and to jump like he did today.

There were no obvious excuses for the performance of Hidden Cyclone over at Leopardstown – he simply didn’t look good enough..
That being the case, he could prove to be a very difficult horse to place from now on…

Whilst both Discoteca and Edeymi were non-runners, in the Boylesport.com handicap hurdle.

Earlier on the Cheltenham card, the 2 favourites fought out the finish to the opener, with Roc D’Apsis, finishing miles back in third…
I suspect the form is decent –though whether either of the first 2 will have appreciated such a hard race so early in their careers, is a mute point…

Next up, I could hardly believe my eyes as Vino Griego routed a very decent field of novices…
As you all know, I’ve been a big fan of the horse over the years – but his defeat at Marken Rasen when I tipped him earlier in the season, put me off him. He could have won that race that day – but he didn’t want to…
He wanted to today however and absolutely sprinted clear up the run in.
There has never been any doubting his talent – and he probably has the ability to defy whatever weight rise the handicapper gives him. Whether he will do however, is a different matter…

As expected, Sprinter Sacre proved completely different class to his rival in the Victor Chandler chase.
He really is a freak.
I’ve been watching jumping racing closely for 30 years – and he is the best 2 mile chaser I have seen, by some margin.
In terms of natural ability, I would go so far as to say, he is the best chaser I’ve seen, full stop.
An awesome talent….

The novice hurdle proved as interesting and informative as I had hoped…
At Fishers Cross got the better of The New One, in a titanic battle from the last hurdle.
Again however, you would have to be a little concerned that such a hard race might leave it’s mark.

Reve De Sivola also had quite a hard race in wining the Cleeve hurdle – but I suspect he is made of quite stern stuff…
He is now likely to start favourite for the World Hurdle and whatever beats him will know it has been in a race.
I suspect he might be vulnerable on quick ground – but if conditions are on the soft side, he will take a lot of beating.

Finally, AP and Mr Watson were decisive winners of the finale.
The horse seemed to be running a little free in the early stages on the race, so it says much for his ability that he could respond when challenged at the last.
Something like the Coral Cup might be right up his street…

TVB.

2 comments:

  1. Vino Griego was the one that got away for me as well ,good runs at cheltenham in the past and a very good trainer it was only a matter of time before he landed one
    dam

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s always difficult to know how many chances you should give to a horse like him…
    It was his 18th run over fences and his first win – so odds of 25/1 were about right !
    I don’t think it was the course that was important for him – it was the field size (and hence pace) and the ground…
    He is one of those that it is easy to be irritated about in hindsight – but not so easy to pick in advance (which is after all, the only time that counts !)…
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete