Thursday 24 January 2013

Race review

It’s funny to think, that little over a month ago, I was bemoaning the fact that 9 out 12 of my most recent tips that had traded odds on in-running, had lost…
We are now in the situation where the last 6 tips that have traded odds on in running have all won !
You can either view that as luck evening itself out – or as an illustration of just how bizarre the situation in December was…

The point is, the tips I’ve issued this month, have been no better than the tips I issued in December – in fact, I think you can argue that they have been worse (or at least, less consistent).
However, that little bit of luck has been with us this month – when it was missing last month – and from a P&L perspective, the difference that makes, is massive…

Nobody can tell me that Jadanli today, was a better trip than Monastrell on day 2 – or indeed Another Flutter or Rubert.
However, fortune favoured Jadanli, in a way that it had not done for the other 3…

They really are fine lines – and that is what makes a raw P&L potentially so mis-leading.
Those of you who know me, would be aware that I would feel just as uncomfortable with a P&L that grossly flattered what I was producing – and that is why I will always want to look at my figures with as much ‘luck’ stripped out as possible…

With regard to the race today, then Jadanli ran precisely as I had hoped he would.
I don’t honestly think that he ran significantly better than he had done last year – he was just fortunate that most of his main rivals didn’t perform.
I fully expected that to be the case for a few of them – and that is why I though he was a cracking bet, to be placed. However I didn’t expect them all to under-perform, but that is what happened and pleasingly, Jadanli was able to take advantage…

I would honestly doubt whether he will be able to build on this victory.
He is an 11 year old, whose best days are behind him. I don’t suppose he will get a massive hike in the weights for this win – but it will probably be sufficient to stop him following up – unless circumstances fall in his favour again…

Not that it matters a jot ! Today was the day that really counted – not just for us, but for his connections as well.
The old warrior richly deserved a final day in the sun – and it was very pleasing that we were able to share it with him.

Now by my calculation, just a couple more winners from horses trading odds on, and the books will be balanced – I trust non of you are planning to go anywhere ;)

TVB.

4 comments:

  1. I trust non of you are planning to go anywhere ;)


    One fortnight in Florida paid for, just need enough winners to pay for other 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top stuff Andy, i knew it was only a matter of time before you produced a beauty like that, what a performance from our boy too. Last month we were sure to be on the boy in second lol
    Going to book a holiday myself courtesy of yourself. Thats 2 years running :)
    Id say you will have bo problem for subscribers next year, if people have any sense they will get their name in early. Best of luck tomorrow everyone il be waiting by my phone in anticipation from 8am

    Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous subscribers aren't allowed ! - the rules clearly state that you have to identify yourself when posting on the blog ;)

    I'll do my best to help pay for the other 4 weeks tomorrow - but no guarentees !
    That said, I've certainly got one or two intersting ones lined up ;)

    TVB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've no doubt that I'll have plenty of subscribers next season Ciaran - provided I can keep things going.
    It's a fickle game tho - and we should never forget that. I've got to make sure that I keep my eye on the ball - or in no time, yesterday's winner will fade into obscurity...
    A.

    ReplyDelete