Saturday 9 February 2013

Review of the day

It’s never good when you have a losing day – and it doesn’t get much worse than tipping 8 losers – but somewhat bizarrely, I don’t actually feel that down about today…

First of all, of the 8 horses, 3 were speculative long shots – always more likely to lose than win – and staked accordingly…

Of the other 5 horses: 2 finished second; 1 third; 1 fourth and 1 fifth – so all 5 ran with a reasonable amount of credit…

The fifth placed horse, was Hey Big Spender, who was backed in from 8/1 early to half that price at the off. He ran better than he has done of late – but never really looked like winning…

Captain Paulie finished fourth. Again, he ran OK – and will doubtless be dropped a few pounds as a result of this run. His time really isn’t far off…

Radmores Revenge finished third – and ran very well in finishing so…
I did say this morning that I hoped I wouldn’t rue not putting him up EW – I rued it !
Once again, my fear of losing prevented us from winning…

The Giant Bolster finished an honourable second to Silviano Conti – and I must admit, there were a few moments up the home straight, when I thought he might just come out on top – but alas it was not to be…

Swincombe Flame also finished runner-up at Warwick.
She ran a solid enough race – but was just caught for toe at a crucial stage, as the pace of the race quickened.
She will be seen to better effect over a little further…

Non of the 3 small bets covered themselves with much glory – which was a shame as I would have hoped that at least one of them could have given us a decent run…

Part of the problem, I’m sure, is the profile of the horses that won today…
Almost all of the winners at both Newbury and Warwick, were from the top of the market – I’m always likely to struggle when that happens…

It was a similar story at Leopardstown, where Ruacana, Texas Jack, Bright New Dawn, Discoteca and Goonyella, all placed.
The only winner I got there, was Sir Des Champs – and I was never likely to put up an 11/8 shot !

I honestly don’t think that today was the problem.
I could have put up Radmores Revenge EW – and maybe not put up one or two of the more speculative ones – but we still would have lost a little on the day.

The bigger issue in my mind, was my staking of Nozic yesterday – and Rouge et Blanc (and Jack the Gent) on Thursday.
That is what I really need to address to get us back moving in the right direction…

Maybe tomorrow will provide an opportunity…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment