Saturday 2 February 2013

Review of the day

I think that today simply has to go down as one of those days…

I had plenty of winners written on my short-list - but I showed a rare level of skill to swerve them all and just put us on 3 losers L
These things happen, I guess….

First up was Kudu Country.
A little like Quartz De Thaix last Saturday, he is normally a sound jumper – but not today !
He made a mistake at the first – and followed that up with mistakes at the next 2 fences.
By this point he was a detached last and things never really improved.
He was eventually pulled up towards the end of the back straight…
The race was won in tenacious style by Eastlake. As I had nominated him as the main danger to the selection, I guess there was little surprise there..!

Double Ross ran significantly better over at Ffos Las – though he never really looked likely to win.
He was up with the pace throughout and I did wonder if Sam Twiston Davies had saved a little for the home straight.
He probably had – but it wasn’t sufficient.
On today’s evidence, it looks like he will need to drop a few pounds in the handicap to recapture wining form – either that, or return to fences…

Our Island was a non-runner in the West Wales national – which was a shame…
The way the race was run, I struggle to see how he wouldn’t have finished in the frame – though whether he would have been able to beat the game winner, Carruthers, is a different matter…

The final tip to run, was Summery Justice – and a little like Double Ross, he ran a sound race, without ever looking likely to win.
Instead, the race was won by On Trend, who was, once again, the horse I nominated as the main danger to the selection.
My main issue with him was the form of his stable – but they bounced back to form in no uncertain terms today.
As they say, timing is everything…

In terms of the mentions, then Houblon Des Obeaux ran quite disappointingly in the novice chase.
He lacks scope and maybe just struggled to jump out of the heavy ground as a consequence.

Dashing George on the other hand, relished the conditions and posted a very convincing all the way victory.
He was available at 9/1 this morning – but I chose to pass on him.
As I said at the beginning, these things happen…

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment