Wednesday 20 February 2013

Review of the day

Relative to expectations, today must go down as one of the most disappointing days of the season so far…

As I said this morning, February has been a struggle – but I really felt that I’d found a couple of horses that could turn the month around for us.
I staked them quite aggressively (by current standards !) – and in truth, I could easily have had even more on them – but ultimately, both proved to be massive disappointments…

I guess in fairness, what happened to Auroras Encore, can happen in the NH game.
He didn’t pick up at the second fence and took a crashing fall.
Hopefully he will be OK and we will maybe get another opportunity with him before the season ends.

To Live was an even bigger disappointment though…
I really did strongly fancy him – in fact I would go so far as to say, I felt he was the best tip I had put up all month !
His form was rock solid: he had plenty of scope for improvement; the track and ground should have been fine – and he was representing an in form stable who had sent him on a long outing.
In short - he ticked a lot of boxes…
So how come he ran so poorly ?!
I’ve honestly no idea. That said, the writing seemed to be on the wall very early, when he was pulling and throwing his head about on the run to the first fence.
Maybe he just had an off day – it happens, I guess.
As I’ve said before, they are not machines….

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things, it wasn’t a disaster – merely a disappointment.

I’ve got little option other than to brush myself down and start looking for the next winner.
Thankfully, there is always tomorrow (until we reach the last day of the season, that is ;) ).

TVB.

2 comments:

  1. is cruchain under consideration?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - but I can see where you are coming from Steve !
    He is clearly very well handicapped - though he is not a horse I particularly like...
    He certainly ran with more promise last time out - but I wouldn't be absolutely sure that he will build on that.
    Denali Highway was impressive last time - and should have scope to improve further.
    However on balance, I thought that the race looked just a bit too trappy to take a position in.
    GL if you get involved.
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete