Saturday 16 February 2013

Review of the day

Watching Vino Griego power home at Ascot, early this afternoon, I thought that we were maybe going to have a decent Saturday (which would be a welcome change !).

However, it gradually became apparent that wasn’t going to be the case – and ultimately, we had to settle for a small loss on the day…

As was the case last weekend, when I look at the days results, I can see why we struggled…
6 out of 7 favourites winning at Ascot – and a 33/1 rag – is unlikely to ever signal a good TVB day…
Things weren’t quite as bad at Haydock – but they weren’t massively better either…
3 out of 7 winning favourites – with 2 of the other winners returning at 7/2 and 4/1 respectively…

All this said, we did get one winner – and if I’d not baulked at the price, we could well have had another in Well Refreshed – but I wasn’t prepared  to take 6/1 (even though he was returned at 9/2 !).

In terms of how today’s runners ran:
Then obviously, Vino Griego ran very well ! He wasn’t quite as impressive as he had been at Cheltenham – but today’s was a stronger race and he was 10lb higher in the handicap.
I think things will be a tougher for him next time. He is likely to take a further 6 or 7lb rise in the weights – and he may not get soft ground.
I’ll certainly be thinking twice about taking a short price on him…

Tatenen ran OK to a point in the same race – but made a few jumping mistakes and wasn’t good enough to go with the leaders from the home turn.
A drop off a few pounds - and a return to a slightly shorter trip, will probably suit him…

Next up it was Triggerman at Haydock.
However he never travelled as well as he had done at Chepstow last time – and he was soon beaten.
As I mentioned above, the race was won by Well Refreshed – and the next time you read me writing:
‘If you asked me to pick the most likely winner, I’d go for Well Refreshed.’
I suggest that you just stop reading at that point and back the horse in question !!

The final 2 tips of the day, were by far the biggest disappointments…

I knew that Yurok was no certainty – but I expected him to run a lot better than he did…
Whether it was the heavy ground, I don’t know – but he ran very disappointingly…

Exactly the same can be said for Florafern.
I thought her my best bet of the day – and when she was a strong 6/1 shot around lunchtime, I was very optimistic.
However, she was double that price on BF at the off – and ran no sort of a race…
Again ,the ground might have been to blame – but it was still a disappointing effort…

Maybe tomorrow will bring better…

TVB.

2 comments:

  1. it was nice to get vino today but i will feel it was a big fish that got away last time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Steve - but that's in the past...
    I was a little uncomfortable putting him up today at 4/1, off a 10lb higher mark in a stronger race - but conversely, there is little point in cutting your nose off to spite your face !
    Well Refreshed was the one that got away today - but the price just wasn't there this morning...
    As I've said before - we don't tip in an ideal world...
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete