Saturday 22 December 2012

Review of the day

Whilst in a way, I’m not too surprised that today ended disappointingly, it was still a little irritating, the way things panned out…

The first tip to run was Carrickboy, and he ran really well at Haydock.
Turing into the home straight, he was in a battle with Cannington Brook and Merry King, but approaching the second last fence, his stamina gave out and he started to fade.
That left Cannington Brook and Merry King to fight out a thrilling finish – and it was the former who came out on top.
Why he didn’t run like that last time when we were on him at Chepstow, I really don’t know.
As I’ve said before, I guess they are not machines….

Next up it was Arctic Ben.
I had a dilemma this morning at to whether to tip him or Kudu Country and rounding the home turn, I was starting to think I’d got that call wrong as well…
And I suppose I had, but ultimately it didn’t matter, as Desert Cry sailed past them both on the run to the second last, to ultimately win easily.
On his hurdles form he was entitled to do what he did – but on his chase form, he had a lot to find.
The weight of money that came for him suggested that someone thought he was going to make light of the fences today – and so it proved…

The final tip for the day, Double Ross, also ran a really solid race at Ascot.
As expected, he helped force the pace throughout and was still in with a shout rounding the home turn.
However, he could only plug on at the one pace as Petit Robin and Dan Breen went on. However just as Petite Robin looked to have got the better of that dual, Cause of Causes appeared from out of the clouds and won going away.
Well, I did day he looked over-priced in the write-up !!

In the finale at Ascot, Ulk Du Lin just about managed to hold off the veteran Nozic.
Looking at he bare result, you might be excused for thinking I’d read the race wrongly.
However, earlier in the afternoon, Majala had sauntered home in the Haydock mud – and the way Ulk Du Lin had to fight for victory made me feel that if Majala had taken up his Ascot engagement, then he probably would have been victorious.
Of  course we will never know for sure – but I suspect if the race was run again tomorrow then we wouldn’t get 13/2 on Majala coming out on top !

Such is life…

TVB.

2 comments:

  1. Just belated best wishes for Christmas for you and yours Andy. Looking foward to a drier new year. Ballard (Mark)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Mark.
    Merry Christmas to you too - and all the blog readers as well...
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete