Saturday 29 December 2012

Review of the day

It was a bit of a dull day today – for a Saturday, anyhow…

That said, we managed to bag a winner – and a small profit on the day. So I’m not complaining about it.

In truth, I think we need more days like today: days when we just edge forward by a point or two.
If some of the near misses from earlier in the month had gone our way and we’d had a few more days when we edged forward , then we’d be sitting on a nice profit for the month by now (and my stress levels wouldn’t have got quite so high !!)
Still, I guess that is water under the bridge….

On to today then, when in the very first race at Newbury, Arbeo set out to make all under Sam Thomas – and succeeded !
If only it was always that simple !
Our other runner in the race, Simply Ben, made a few early mistakes and could never get competitive. He probably needs a greater test of stamina…

Another one who needs a greater test of stamina, is Safran De Cotte.
He was backed into favouritism at Doncaster, but started struggling to go with the leaders, as soon as the pace quickened.
He was beaten entering the home straight, but plugged on to finish a never nearer fourth.
I suspect that some of the minor grand nationals will be on his agenda, before very long…

The final tip of the day, was Midnight Haze. However he didn’t run much of a race either.
He prefers to boss races – or at least race prominently – but today, he didn’t have the pace to lie up.
He was struggling with almost a circuit to run and was eventually pulled up.
He is not one that I would be interested in, in the immediate future at least…

Aside from those 3, there wasn’t a lot to report on the day:
Hurricane Fly won in a canter at Leopardstown; and Tarquin Du Seuil took the feature Challow hurdle at Newbury.

I guess it’s the price we pay for all the excitement over the Christmas period – but things aren’t going to get any more exciting tomorrow, where the only place they might be racing, is Taunton (if it survives a morning inspection).

Assuming that meeting does go ahead, then it is likely to provide my last tips for a week or so…
I’m going away on Monday and whilst I will be back on Tuesday, I’m going away again on Thursday !
Consequently, I will be taking approximately a week off tipping…

I know you’ll all miss me ( ;) ) – but I’ll be back again before you know it - probably with tips for Tuesday 8th January.

I’ll be in touch via email over the next day or so, to confirm exact arrangements – but I just thought I would give those of you who read the blog, a little bit of advanced warning…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment