Wednesday 26 December 2012

Review of the day

It was nice to have a few days off over Christmas and put the racing to the back of my mind…
What wasn’t so nice, was coming back today and finding that my luck hadn’t changed a bit !

I tipped in 3 races – and managed to get 3 seconds: at 25/1, 14/1 and 11/1.
Admittedly only one of the three traded odds on in-running (though at 1.16 !!) – but the fact that the 25/1 shot was beaten by the horse I nominated as the main danger, felt almost as bad…

People keep telling me that luck evens itself out – and that I’ve just got to hang on in there – but it’s not that easy !
I know from bitter experience that these things don’t have to turn themselves round. What is just as likely to happen is that I’ll lose heart and the quality of the selections will drop off.
If that happens, then we needn’t worry about luck – because the horses won’t be getting close enough for it to matter!!

Anyway, enough of the self pity – I can keep it all in perspective – but it is very irritating non-the-less…!

Suffice to say, Captain Chris ran an absolute cracker in the King George and looked sure to prevail when he pinged the last fence and took a couple of lengths out of Long Run in the process.
I even had Richard Johnson on board – and the rail to help – so there can be no excuses.
Long Run was simply very brave and refused to be beaten…

Grands Crus ran a stormer to finish third and looked back to his best. He will win the Ryanair chase – assuming connections choose to run him in it !

The Giant Bolster made a mistake at the first and ran no sort of a race.
Whether it was the ground or the track, I don’t know – but his run can be ignored.

In the previous race, Raya Star ran really well but couldn’t match the acceleration shown by Darlan.
The lack of early pace certainly didn’t help Raya Star – though whether he would ever have been the winner must be debatable.
Darlan certainly looked like a proper Champion hurdle contender…

Over at Leopardstown, Rubert ran an absolute cracker – but was no match for Jacksonslady.
I thought long and hard about how to stake the race this morning. I seriously considered having Jacksonslady as a saver – but didn’t want to end up over-staking it.
Ultimately, we ended up paying for my conservatism…
We will also find that Rubert won’t be 25/1 next time he runs over 2 miles.
Quite a frustrating race really…!


Earlier on the Kempton card, Rajdhani Express absolutely dotted up in the handicap chase – thereby enabling us all to see how unlucky we had been last time out.

Whilst in the finale, Loose Chips get the better of Bathwick Brave in a battle of previous tips…

All in all, it was a good day for horses I’d tipped earlier in the season, with wins for Monkerty Tunkerty, Cape Tribulation, and Queens Grove – in addition to Rajdhani Express and Loose Chips.
Unfortunately, timing is everything – and we weren’t on them today, when it mattered…

Maybe our luck will change tomorrow…

TVB.

4 comments:

  1. Anyone with the confidence and ability to tip up a 25/1 rag (that comes 2nd) has my respect! Especially today when there were plenty easier "picks" to be had.

    Onto tomorrow....Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just need the odd one to come first Neil !
    Still, there's not a lot more I can do. I'm reading things well enough - I've just got to hope we get a bit of luck.
    If not, it is going to seem a long time to Cheltenham !!
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont ever lose heart Andy, a new year awaits us! I believe things will turn around for us. Its not even that bad at the minute, we have just had a lot of very bad fortune to go with the winners. Just keep doing what your doing and the winners will soon come. I really thought Captain Chris was up today, 16/1 SP as well. We keep hitting the crossbar with these double priced horses, one of them has to connect!

    Hope everyone had a good christmas and fingers crossed for a happy and profitable new year.

    Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Ciaran.
    Like you say, hopefully the new year will bring us a change in fortune (assuming it doesn't come tomorrow !!).
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete