Sunday 25 November 2012

Race review

Another frustrating day, when I managed to turn a potential profit into a loss…

As I said in the daily write-up, when I first looked at the Troytown last night, the bet that jumped out at me, was Jadanli – EW.
The mistake I made – and I probably made the same one yesterday, with Monsieur Cadou’s race – was spending too much time looking through all of the runners trying to find different angles..

The trouble with races like today’s – an indeed yesterdays – is that you can over-analyse them. If you are prepared to turn them over and over, trying to find different  angles, then unsurprisingly, different potential selections will fall out and just confuse your thinking.
I think that is precisely what I did on both occasions.

So from now on the mantra is: if the race is complex, keep the analysis simple !!

In the race itself, Zardsky put up a decent showing from the front – but was never going quite as well as fellow front runner, Glenqest. He lasted until the final half mile of the race – but then weakened quite rapidly…
Jadanli was always travelling reasonable well – but just didn’t have the pace to get on terms with the leaders.
That said, he stayed in to good effect down the home straight, to finish an honourable fourth…
Of the other mentions, them The Hard Hat never featured and was eventually pulled up; whilst Romanesco seemed to travel OK – but couldn’t find anything in the closing stages of the contest…

In the first race of the day, it looked like ‘the mentions’ were going to get off to a flyer, as Kashline bore down on Drawn N Drank on the run in.
However, the line came a few yards to soon and Kashline couldn’t quite get up.
Hopefully one or two of you made a little on the EW suggestion, to offset loses on the Troytown.

In the novice hurdle, Thynetocathcer appeared to run a decent race. She was in second place rounding the home turn – but back in fifth as the runners re-appeared from the gloom on the run in.
It looked as if Wing Tips was never able to mount a serous challenge – but visibility was so bad, it was difficult to be sure !

Don Cossack recorded a facile victory in the maiden hurdle – though it told us very little, with him ending up only having one serious rival to beat. His next race will hopefully be a little more informative.

Finally, Alderwood rather bizarrely slipped up on the run, in the novice chase.
In truth he looked held at the time – though in conditions like today’s you can never be completely sure until they have crossed the line…

So, a disappointing return from the mini-break, with just over 5 points dropped since Friday.
The more frustrating aspect for me, is that it could have been 5 points profit, if I had made the right calls.
The consolation, I guess, is that I am still reading the races fine – it’s just the final crystallisation of the tips, that is letting me down (though in fairness, that is often the hardest part).
Rest assured though, I’ll be doing my level best to get things back on an even keel before the month draws to a close on Friday…

TVB.

2 comments:

  1. one of the things i find interesting when reading your blog is the way you sometimes analyse your analysis. theres little doubt in my mind after reading your exploits last winter that you have the tools and imagination to turn a profit from your bets.what interests me is you are able to do this with a very fluid approach.im fairly rigid in my methods , looking at a race from all possible angles would quickly send me to the madhouse. but if it has worked for you in the past dont beat yourself up when things seem to go against you.just friendly comment , i respect your opinions even if i dont get to read them until after the event unlike last winter.

    steveb
    ps i'm looking forward to watching bally legend tomorrow even though i suspect the track may not suit him.if i'm wrong about that i'd expect a very good show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’d be surprised at how many different ways I can find to look at a race Steve !
    To be honest, I have no issue with that. All races are different – and as you have no doubt observed – I am happy to tackle pretty much anything. I think different factors are more important in some races than others – and I like to look at them all (time permitting !).
    Of course the danger with that approach, is that you sometimes can’t see the wood for the trees – particularly if you are trying to look at a lot of races in a short period of time (which I often am).
    As I said in today’s write up, there was a danger of me doing that in the first at Kempton today – but fortunately I latched on to the key factor (and the horse didn't let me down !).

    Looks like we were in agreement on Bally Legend – certainly not one to lose faith in I think…

    TVB.

    ReplyDelete