Wednesday 14 November 2012

Race reviews

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, following TVB is never dull !
It was a roller-coaster last season – and if the first 2 weeks of this season are anything to go by, it’s going to be more of the same, this time round…
Rarely could TVB fortunes have been better illustrated in a day, than they were today.

Less than 5 minutes after Quartz De Thaix had crossed the line for a comfortable victory at Bangor, Captain Sunshine, spun round at the start at Exeter and refused to set off.
The highs and lows of it all !!

Let’s deal with the winner first – Quartz De Thaix…
13 times I tipped a horse trained by Venetia Williams last season – and not once did it yield a winner. Some of my best bets last season were on her horses (well if not best, then strongest !) yet not one of them managed to force it’s head in front where it mattered.
But did I fight shy of tipping one of her horses this season ? No I did not !
I’ve always felt that Venetia and me could eventually get it together – and now I know that is not just a pipe dream J
In fairness, I think we all owe our old friend Buffalo Bob a carrot. His harrying of the second favourite Monkerty Tunkerty in the early stages of the race, pretty much did for both of their chances – and Quartx De Thaix had plenty in reserve to fend off the challenge of favourite, Cotswold Charmer between the final 2 fences.
If only all TVB tips could perform like that…

So, onto Captain Sundance…

I’ve got to say that I was feeling supremely confident as the runners trotted out onto the Exeter track.
Captain Sundance had remained suitably solid in the betting all day – and non of his rivals appeared to have much market confidence behind them.
I therefore couldn’t believe it, when he shied as the tape was raised , turned around –and then refused to race !
I was actually left in a state of slight shock !
As it transpired, the race pretty much panned out as I expected…
All five remaining runners were in with a shout at the second last – and as they collectively plodded towards the final hurdle, I could only think about what might have been…
It’s just a good job I staked conservatively or I really would not have been happy…

Apparently Captain Sunshine is entered for a race at Cheltenham on Sunday, which is going to give me a bit of a dilemma. Post race, connections said that he has shown some temperament in the past – though never noticeably on the racecourse.

At the end of the day, as I said last week, they are not machines…

Elsewhere on the day:
If I was staggered that Provo was 4/9 this morning – you can only imagine how I felt about him being sent off at 3/10 !!
Unfortunately I had dug way too big a hole, laying him at the larger price – so my profits on the race were limited.
I hope a few of you judged the laying a bit better than I did…

Talkonthestreet managed to finish second in the novice chase – though he was really only third best on the day. The favourite, Keppols Hill, fell at the last when looking likely to collect.
That left Grove Pride as a slightly fortunate winner – though I suspect he may turn out to be the best horse in the race.

So an eventful day draws to a close - tomorrow will have to go some, to top that !!

TVB.

2 comments:

  1. Cheers Ciaran. Keeps things moving in the right direction, which is always nice...

    ReplyDelete