Saturday 3 November 2012

Review of the day

I think it is fair to say that today wasn’t the best of days…

3 losing tips is never going to be good – but in truth non of the 3 every looked likely to win…

Nampour chased a suicidal pace in the handicap hurdle – and was soon paying the price.
Raya Star showed again that there is no substitute for class in a handicap - it will be interesting to see just how far he can go this season…
There were a number of eye-catching performances – the most notable probably being Claret Cloak. He will certainly take some beating next time, if in a similar race…

At Wetherby, Cape Tribulation was hugely disappointing – as too was Smad Place.
In fact there were both so disappointing, I couldn’t help wonder if their demise had been caused by the path they too through the race…
Both horses raced close to the rails, whereas the eventual winner and runner up, raced much wider on the course.
The ground could well have been riding quicker in the middle of the track because without that explanation, it is a bit difficult to rationalise the performance of the runner-up, Crack away Jack.
Without wishing to take anything away from the winner, Tidal Bay, my feeling is that this form can be ignored…

The final tip of the day (Petara Bay was a non-runner) was Planet of Sound.
However, he (and indeed the rest of the Charlie Hall field) were no match for Silviano Conti, who romped home, looking the real deal.
Ofcourse it is still early days, but it will be interesting to see how he fares during the rest of the season.

Elsewhere on  the respective Ascot and Wetherby cards:
Hadrian’s Approach just got he better of Druids Nephew, to win a thrilling novice chase at Ascot. The form looks strong and the winner’s attitude had to be admired.

My Tent or Yours was a mighty impressive winner of the novice hurdle – and if I’m honest, I think we might have been saved half a point there, as I doubt Petara Bay would have been able to match that performance.
The way the winner travelled through the race was most taking – and off a stronger pace, I think he could be even better.

The real irritation of the day, was watching Roberto Goldback hack up in the United House chase.
As I sad in my email, I felt there was a distinct possibility he would be up to wining today. The trouble was, I’d got my mind set on Ace High, until I saw his price – and then I couldn’t bring myself to tip against him.

In the 2 mile chase, neither Falcon Island nor Doctor David, figured.
Falcon Island ran a most peculiar race – struggling out the back and then finishing with a flourish.
However, he never got near the winner Gus Macrea, who beat him much less emphatically last week and was worse off at the weights today.

At Wetherby, Loordofthehouse nearly refused to race. But he eventually decided to do so – then made up ground quickly, before powering clear.
He clearly has an engine – but he has some serious temperament issues as well and as such could never be a serious betting proposition…

Une Artiste won the battle of the mares – where She Ranks Me ran very well to split the ‘big 3’.

Finally, over at Down Royal, Kauto Stone came good in the JN wine Champion chase.
Full credit to pricewise for putting him up. I backed the horse a few times last season – but had pretty much given up on him.
It is debatable whether he’ll be able to build on today’s performance – but it certainly wasn’t a bad way for him to start his season !!

So all in all, a disappointing day.
That said, it only resulted in a 3 point loss – something that would have been trivial, if Monastrell had hung on yesterday…

And I thought I was over that :(

TVB.






No comments:

Post a Comment